The Glenrothes Arabs
1969-70 - FAIRS CUP
1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round
Quarter Final
Semi Final
Three years passed before United qualified for the Fairs Cup for a second time. The "Scandinavian Era" had come to an end between 1967 and 1968, and by 1969 only three of the team who defeated Barcelona in 1966 were still first team regulars. Manager Jerry Kerr's rebuilding process began in the summer of 1967, bringing in Davie Wilson and Wilson Wood from Rangers, and full-back Andy Rolland from Cowdenbeath. Over the next two seasons United finished mid-table as Kerr continued to rebuild, signing winger Davie Hogg from Hibs, Alec Reid from Rangers and ex-Hearts striker Alan Gordon.

However, it was the arrival of former Dundee striker Kenny Cameron that helped catapult United back up the table. Signed from Kilmarnock for £8,000 at the end of the 1967/68 season, his 27 League goals in 34 matches during the 1968/69 campaign made him the first United player to finish as the Scottish League's top scorer, and helped United to a 5th place finish as they qualified for Europe once more.
Kenny Cameron
Kenny Cameron
There were many parallels between United's qualification in 1966 and in 1969. Again, the 5th place finish equalled United's highest ever finish in the Scottish League. Again, they qualified for the Fairs Cup along with Kilmarnock and Dunfermline. And again, the were drawn against the current holders - this time Newcastle United. The English club had beaten Rangers in the Semi-Finals of the 1968-69 Fairs Cup competition, and had went on to beat Śjpesti Dózsa of Hungary in the Final.

Dundee United v Newcastle Utd
1st Leg - 15th September 1969
Captains Moncur and Smith
Newcastle captain Bobby Moncur and United captain Doug Smith exchange pennants before kick off
The 1st Leg was at Tannadice, where a crowd of 15,500 - boosted by around 5000 who had made the journey from Newcastle - witnessed a terrific match. As Newcastle took to the field, there was a number of familiar faces in the Back & White strips, with former Aberdeen midfielder Jimmy Smith, ex-Partick midfielder Tommy Gibb, Morton's former Danish Internationalist Preben Arentoft and Scottish International defender Bobby Moncur all in the line-up.

United, now in the Club's new colour of Tangerine after a change from the old-fashioned White during the summer, started the match off in style, and after just four minutes Alex Reid was unlucky with a lob that landed on the roof of Willie McFaul's net. Then two minutes later Kenny Cameron was ready to pounce on a Doug Smith free-kick when Newcastle's Scottish Internationalist Bobby Moncur cleared at the last minute.

Newcastle then began to take control, and their legendary striker and Welsh Internationalist Wyn Davies was unlucky to see a header from 15 yards out crash of the United crossbar in the 10th minute, before United keeper Don Mackay pushed away a Gibb shot after good build up play from Davies and "Pop" Robson. Davies then saw a second header rebound off the crossbar with Mackay beaten, before the match was delayed for four minutes after the crowd spilled onto the pitch behind the Newcastle goal. A frantic end to the first half saw chances at both ends, with Burton clearing a Davy Wilson header off the line to prevent United taking the lead, then Davies saw a third header hit the woodwork, with Mackay pushing his effort onto the crossbar.
The deadlock was finally broken 11 minutes into the second half when Wyn DAVIES, who had already rattled the woodwork three times, finally got the ball past Don Mackay when he headed home a Craggs cross from the right wing to put Newcastle 1-0 in front. Six minutes later, DAVIES did it again as he proved why he was known to have "the most dangerous head in Britain" when he headed home his second, this time from a Robson cross.

All of a sudden United looked dead and buried, and things looked like getting worse when Mackay picked up a head wound diving at the feet of Gibb in the 73rd minute, and had to leave the pitch with blood streaming down his face. He was replaced in goals by 16 year old Ged Reilly, who was only on the bench because back up keeper Hamish McAlpine had picked up an injury the week before.
Wyn Davies
Newcastle striker Wyn Davies
Ian Scott
Scorer for United - Ian Scott
However, with 10 minutes to go Ian SCOTT pulled one back for United, and although they could not find an equaliser on the night, it gave them hope for the 2nd Leg being only one goal down.
Dundee United
Scott (80)
Mackay (Reilly), Markland (Briggs), Smith, Rolland, J. Cameron, Wilson, Reid, Mitchell, Scott,
K. Cameron, Gillespie
Newcastle United
Davies (56)
Davies (62)
McFaul, Craggs, Gibb, Clark, Burton, Moncur, Dyson, Arentoft, Smith, Robson, Davies
2nd Leg - 1st October 1969

United's game plan going into the 2nd Leg at St James' Park was to reduce the threat of Newcastle striker Wyn Davies, who caused so many problems in the 1st Leg, and to try and grab an early goal to level the tie. A crowd of 37, 470 watched as United broke up the park in 15 minutes after early Newcastle pressure, with Alan Gordon and Andy Rolland setting up Alex Reid, but his shot flew just over the bar.
Alex Reid
Alex Ried
United keeper Don Mackay, who had managed to return to the starting eleven after his head knock in the 1st leg, saved twice from Jimmy Smith, before Davies blazed over the bar from a Robson cut back. Part one of United's gameplan was working, as this was the only time Davies had a clear chance at goal. Four minutes before the break, United's Reid broke into the penalty area and cracked a shot past Willie McFaul, but the shot rebounded off the post and Ian Mitchell failed to take advantage of the follow up.

Early in the second half, Reid slammed another great effort which dipped just over the bar, and Mitchell brought a great save from McFaul with a header. Again, Newcastle came storming back into the match, and Robson had the ball in the net with 20 minutes to go, but the goal was disallowed when the linesman signalled for offside. Ian Mitchell beat two defenders before setting up Davie Hogg, who sent yet another shot over the bar. United had created plenty of chances, but had failed to take advantage of any of them, and in the 2nd minute of injury time, Newcastle finally killed off any chance for United when Keith DYSON scored from a Jimmy Smith pass to give the Magpies a 3-1 aggregate victory.
Newcastle United
Dyson (90)
McFaul, Clark, Craig, McNamee, Gibb, Moncur, Foggon (Arentoft), Dyson, Davies, Robson, Smith
Dundee United
Mackay, D. Smith, Rolland, J. Cameron, Markland, Hogg, Reid, Gillespie, Mitchell, I. Scott, Gordon
Aggregate score:

Both Dunfermline and Kilmarnock went out in the 3rd Round, to Anderlecht and Dinamo Bacau respectively. After victories over Porto and Southampton, Newcastle reached the Quarter Finals where the lost out on away goals to Anderlecht. The Belgians went on to the Final, where they lost to Arsenal 4-3 on aggregate, as the Gunners became the third English side to win the trophy in as many years.

At the end of the 1969/70 season, Newcastle United returned to Tannadice to capture the services of United's leading goalscorer Ian Mitchell for a club record transfer fee of £50,000, and he left for England after 8 years and 133 goals at Tannadice. Newcastle also returned for a pre-season friendly on the eve of the 1970/71 campaign, where ironically Mitchell made his first ever appearance for the Magpies. Mitchell would return to Tannadice just over a year later, with Alex Reid heading to Newcastle in a player swap deal.
Arrow Left
Back to Main Page
Arrow Right
The Glenrothes Arabs - Website Created by Bryan Orr © Copyright 2012.