The Glenrothes Arabs


1st April

1916 - In the Clubs third Forfarshire Cup Final in a row, Dundee Hibernian lost out 2-0 to Montrose in front of 5,000 at Dens Park.

1939 - Willie Black and William Benzie scored for United, but the team went down 3-2 to King's Park in Glasgow in a Second Division match.

1961 - Jimmy Briggs and Dennis Gillespie gave United a 2-1 lead over Aberdeen at Tannadice, but Aberdeen pulled level 15 minutes into the second half. David Boner gave United the lead again just three minutes later, but the Dons grabbed a late equaliser in a fantastic 3-3 draw.

1967 - Victories over Hearts, Falkirk and Dunfermline meant United were to face Aberdeen in only the clubs second ever Scottish Cup Semi Final. Over 40,000 crammed into Dens Park, but Tommy Millar's own goal in the third minute of the game was the only counter with Aberdeen winning 1-0, denying United their first appearance in the Final.

1972 - United won 1-0 against Motherwell at Fir Park, where Archie Knox scored the only goal of the game with eleven minutes remaining.

1987 - Jim McInally earned his first full International cap as Scotland played Belgium in a European Championship qualifying match in Brussels. Dave Narey won his 33rd cap in the 4-1 defeat that also saw Paul Sturrock and Maurice Malpas play for their country. Paul McStay scored Scotland's goal.

2nd April

1955 - Willie Dunlop scored twice as United defeated Morton 5-0 in a Division B match at Tannadice. James Murphy, Archie Aikman and Tom McGairy also scored.

1960 - Tommy Campbell scored his second hat-trick since signing for United just a month before, as United beat Forfar Athletic at Tannadice. Dennis Gillespie scored his 18th goal of the season in United's 4-0 win, and helped get the club's promotion push back on track.

1983 - Ralph Milne had given United a first half lead over Rangers at Tannadice, before Sandy Clark equalised for Rangers after 66 minutes. Paul Sturrock then scored twice in the last 13 minutes to give United a 3-1 win, guaranteeing the club a European spot and 3rd place in the Premier Division with seven games to go.

1984 - In the third Dundee derby of the season at Dens Park, Maurice Malpas gave away a penalty and scores the equaliser in the space of a minute, before John Reilly and Davie Dodds put United 3-1 up before half-time. Future United star Iain Ferguson scored his second penalty of the game to pull one back for Dundee, but an Eamonn Bannon penalty and a last minute goal from Ralph Milne put United out of touch and the game finished with a 5-2 win.

1988 - Less than a week after knocking Dundee out of the Scottish Cup, United beat them 1-0 in a Premier Division match at Tannadice, where a Hamish French header was fumbled into the net by Dundee keeper Bobby Geddes for the only goal of the game at Tannadice, as United won the eighth Dundee derby of the season.

2011 - After losing a goal after twenty minutes against Rangers at Ibrox, United midfielder David Robertson grabbed the equaliser just on half-time with a well worked goal. Rangers went 2-1 up eight minutes into the second half, but a fantastic header from Johnny Russell levelled the scores with 13 minutes to go, and in the dying seconds of the game, David Goodwillie raced clear to give United a memorable 3-2 victory.

3rd April

1920 - In the Semi Final of the Forfarshire Cup, Dundee Hibs beat Montrose 2-1 in the replay after the first match ended 2-2, and went through to their fourth consecutive Forfarshire CUp Final, where they would meet Dundee at Dens Park.

1926 - In their second ever meeting, Aberdeen got revenge over United after losing the first match, when a solitary Hutton goal gave the Dons a 1-0 win at Pittodrie during United's first ever season in Division One.

1948 - George Henderson scored twice as United beat Ayr United 4-2 at Tannadice. George Grant and Emilio Pacione also scored in the B Division match.

1971 - Doug Smith scored a penalty and Kenny Cameron scored a hat-trick as United beat Cowdenbeath 4-2 at Tannadice for their third straight win.

1982 - Eamonn Bannon and Paul Sturrock scored in each half for a 2-0 win over Dundee at Dens Park, a result which took United's unbeaten run against their City rivals to eight games.

1985 - United faced Dundee in a Permier Division Dundee derby at Tannadice, where Eamonn Bannon opened the scoring in the first half. However, the game wasn't safe until Paul Sturrock scored United's second with 13 minutes left, and Alex Taylor and Davie Dodds added two more in the last 10 minutes for a comfortable 4-0 win.

4th April

1914 - Collie Martin and Willie Cavanagh gave Dundee Hibs a 2-1 win over Vale of Leven in a Division Two match in Alexandria.

1931 - Dundee United defeated Albion Rovers 4-0, with Andy Haddow (2), Jacky Kay and James Cameron getting the goals at Tannadice.

1936 - Arthur Milne scored four in the demolition of Leith Athletic at Tannadice. More goals from George Ross, Duncan Hutchison and two penalties from Dave Skelligan completed the 8-2 victory.

1953 - Goals from Peter McKay, Frank Quinn and Andy Dunsmore gave United a 3-1 win over Forfar Athletic at Station Park in the 2nd last game of the season, as the club fought for a place in the top half of the table.

1963 - After a 1-1 draw at Tannadice, United faced Queen of the South at Palmerston in a Scottish Cup Quarter Final replay. Eric Brodie gave United an ideal start, scoring after five minutes, but the Doonhamers pulled level with 15 minutes remaining to force another replay.

1987 - Ian Redford gave United a first half lead at Love Street, but St Mirren turned the game on it's head in the final 12 minutes, equalising through Cooper before a Cameron penalty sent United home with a 2-1 defeat.

1992 - After going behind to an early Paul Wright goal at Tannadice, Alex Cleland equalised against St Johnstone before half time. Dave Bowman scored 10 minutes after the break to give Unites a 2-1 win over their Tayside rivals.

5th April

1924 - After beating Albion Rovers at the start of the season - whilst still playing under the identity of Dundee Hibernian - the newly named Dundee United defeated the Coatbridge side for a second time that campaign with goals from Sandy Gilmour and Joe O'Kane at Cliftonhill for a 2-0 win.

1967 - Falkirk left Tannadice with a point after a remarkable 4-4 draw, with Jackie Graham, Billy Hainey, Dennis Gillespie and Finn Dossing scoring for United.

1969 - Kenny Cameron scored the winner for United in a 2-1 win over Rangers at Tannadice, with Ian Scott also scoring for United. This was the clubs first win over the Ibrox club in 8 attempts over 3 seasons.

1971 - United defeated Dundee 3-2 for the 2nd time that season with goals from Alex Reid, Kenny Cameron and Alan Gordon at Dens Park, as United went 11 games unbeaten against their neighbours.

1975 - Paul Sturrock scored twice in a 2-2 draw with Rangers at Tannadice, to put the club well on course for qualification for the brand new Premier Division.

1986 - After victories over Morton, Kilmarnock and Motherwell in the previous rounds, United faced Hearts in the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup at Hampden, where they conceded an early John Colquhoun goal after 13 minutes. United tried their best to get back into the match, but could not find a way past Henry Smith and Hearts won the match 1-0. They went through to face Aberdeen in the Final, with the possibility of a League and Cup double still in their grasp.

6th April

1974 - In only the clubs third ever Scottish Cup Semi-Final, Pat Gardner scored with a 30 yard strike for the equaliser against Hearts in a 1-1 draw and earned a replay.

1985 - Two goals from Alex Taylor helped United to a 5-0 victory over Morton at Tannadice, with Dave Narey, John Reilly and Eamonn Bannon (pen) also on the scoresheet.

1991 - United took on St Johnstone at East End Park in Dunfermline in the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup. John Clark gave United the lead before ex-United man Harry Curran equalised for St Johnstone. Duncan Ferguson scored the winner to take United through to the Final against Motherwell.

1996 - Gary McSwegan scored 4 as United beat Dumbarton at Tannadice, with Craig Brewster and Mark Perry adding to the 6-1 scoreline. United had now scored 17 goals against The Boghead side since their shock 1-0 win earlier that season.

2008 - In the last game before the split, the team faced Rangers at Tannadice. United took the lead three times, through Christian Kalvenes, Noel Hunt and a Cuellar own goal, only to be pulled back within 5 minutes on each occasion by Rangers, as the game ended in a dramatic 3-3 draw.

7th April

1956 - Goals from Sandy Stephen and John Coyle saw off Albion Rovers as United won 2-0 at Tannadice.

1962 - United drew 2-2 with Aberdeen at Tannadice with goals from Dennis Gillespie and Walter Carlyle.

1979 - Goals from Paul Hegarty and John Holt gave United a 2-0 win over St Mirren at Tannadice and kept the club at the top of the Premier Division table.

1998 - Maurice Malpas and Kjell Olofsson scored in a 2-2 draw with Dunfermline at Tannadice.

8th April

1912 - A 5-2 win over Cowdenbeath saw Dundee Hibs maintain their unbeaten run at home in the League since the turn of the year. The goalscorers were Willie Linn (2), David Scrimgeour & Dan Gibson (2).

1944 - After winning the first leg 2-1, United went out of the North Eastern Cup as they lost 3-0 to East Fife at Bayview.

1963 - After two 1-1 draws with Queen of the South in the Quarter Finals of the Scottish Cup, the 2nd replay took place at Ibrox Park where United ran out 4-0 winners with goals from Jim Irvine, Tommy Millar, Dennis Gillespie and Ian Mitchell. This was the first time United had reached the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup and would face Rangers at Hampden.

1972 - Losing 1-0 to Hearts at Tannadice at half-time, Kenny Cameron grabbed an equaliser on the hour mark, only for Hearts to score again two minutes later. Sandy White levelled again for United with 10 minutes to go, and Frank Kopel gave United a 3-2 win with 8 minutes left.

1980 - United put a huge dent in Celtic's title hopes with three second half goals at Tannadice, with Davie Dodds scoring twice and John Holt grabbing the third in a 3-0 win.

1987 - In the UEFA Cup Semi-Final 1st leg at Tannadice United threw everything at Borussia Moenchengladbach only to have two goals disallowed and the game ended 0-0. The Germans celebrated as they left the pitch, believing that they would easily win the 2nd leg in Germany two weeks later.

1989 - After spending most of the season out through injury, Paul Sturrock scored his first goal for over 6 months against Dundee at Tannadice, with Kevin Gallacher also scoring in a 2-1 win. Dundee born midfielder Ray McKinnon made his first team debut in the Dundee derby.

9th April

1966 - An amazing match at Tannadice started with Dennis Gillespie giving United a 2-0 lead before Hibs pulled one back after half an hour. Finn Dossing restored United's two goal lead before Hibs scored again just before half-time. Five minutes into the second half Hibs equalised from the penalty spot, but Dossing scored again a minute later. Ian Mitchell scored United's fifth from the penalty spot, with Hibs scoring the ninth goal of the game in a pulsating 5-4 victory for United, as the club pushed for their first ever European spot.

1974 - After a 1-1 draw in the first game, United face Hearts again for the replay of the Scottish Cup Semi Final. Goals from Doug Smith (pen) Graeme Payne, Andy Gray and Archie Knox gave United a 4-2 victory and a place in the Club's first ever Scottish Cup Final.

1983 - United faced St Mirren at Love Street, where United were awarded a first half penalty for a foul on Paul Sturrock, which was converted by Eamonn Bannon. Sturrock then scored himself 4 minutes later before St Mirren pulled one back just before half time. That was the end of the scoring and United won 2-1 to go two points clear in 2nd place, three points off leaders Celtic with the next match at Parkhead.

1988 - The Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup saw United face Aberdeen at Dens Park, and after a hard fought match the game ended in stalemate with a 0-0 and a replay back at Dens was required to separate the teams.

1994 - After wins over Arbroath, Motherwell and Airdrie, United face Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final at Hampden. Duncan Shearer gave Aberdeen an early lead, and United struggled to get back into the match. However, just as the Cup run looked over for United, Brian Welsh rose at the back post to meet a Dave Bowman cross and head the ball home for a late equaliser and the tie required a midweek replay.

2005 - United's 17th appearance in the Semi Finals of the Scottish Cup saw them take on Hibernian at Hampden. Barry Robson conceded a penalty and United found themselves 1-0 down after an hour, but Jason Scotland came off the bench to turn the game on its head, helping set up Jim McIntyre for the equaliser and then scored himself from the edge of the box for the winner to take United through to their 8th Scottish Cup Final.

10th April

1961 - United went undefeated against Celtic in the Club's first season back in the First Division. Gibby Ormond gave United a first half lead at Tannadice, but a late Celtic equaliser meant the points were shared between the clubs for a second time that season.

1971 - Andy Rolland scored for United in a 1-1 draw with Celtic in a Division One match at Parkhead.

1976 - Tom McAdam scored just before the break at Tannadice, but Kenny Dalglish equalised for Celtic on the hour mark. Three minutes later George Fleming put United into the lead again, and with five minutes to go McAdam scored his second to give United breathing space. Dalglish scored again with three minutes remaining, but United held out for a 3-2 victory.

1999 - United took on Celtic at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup Semi-Finals, but lost two first half goals and struggled to get back into the match as Celtic won 2-0.

11th April

1925 - After a few years in the wilderness, and a year of transition from Dundee Hibs to Dundee United, the Club sealed promotion to the top division for the first time in their history after a 2-1 victory over East Stirling, with goals from William Mackie and Dave Richards.

1979 - Celtic scored first at Tannadice, but John Holt equalised just just before half time. Davie Dodds grabbed the winner with 20 minutes to go for a 2-1 win.

1981 - After beating Celtic in the Semi-Finals of the League Cup earlier in the season, the two clubs were drawn together in the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup. The game ended in a 0-0 draw at Hampden with a replay scheduled for the following week.

1984 - In the clubs first ever European Semi-Final, United took on Italian giants Roma in the European Cup, where Davie Dodds fired home from close range and Derek Stark scored with a 30-yard drive to give United an impressive 2-0 lead after the 1st leg at Tannadice in front of 20,543.

1987 - United faced Dundee at Tynecastle in the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup, where Iain Ferguson gave United the lead in 29 minutes. Tommy Coyne and Keith Wright scored to give Dundee a 2-1 lead at half-time, but 2nd half goals from Ferguson and Paul Hegarty took United through to the Final with a memorable 3-2 win.

2010 - United's Quarter Final victory over Rangers meant that they faced Raith Rovers in the Semi Finals of the Scottish Cup at Hampden. After a nervy start, David Goodwillie rounded the Rovers keeper to slot the ball home in the 28th minute, and a second half header from captain Andy Webster made it 2-0 and United went through to the Final to face the First Division leaders Ross County, who had pulled off a shock win over Celtic the day before.

12th April

1922 - A testimonial match for Willie Linn saw Dundee Hibs take on Dundee at Tannadice. It was the first ever testimonial for a player at the club, after Linn had played at Tannadice for over 10 years, making 129 appearances and scoring 33 goals. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.

1924 - In their first season as Dundee United, the team beat Bathgate in a Division Two match, with Bobby Bauld scoring both goals in a 2-0 win at Tannadice.

1958 - Willie McDonald and Alex Cameron scored in a 2-1 win over Montrose at Tannadice, but hopes of promotion from Division Two had faded weeks before.

1967 - Gerry Hernon scored the only goal of the game with 15 minutes to go as United beat St Mirren 1-0 in Paisley, as United chased a place in Europe for the second consecutive season.

1975 - Goals from teenagers Paul Sturrock and Derek Addison gave Uited a 2-1 win over Clyde at Shawfield Park. With two games left to play, United had already qualified for a place in the new Premier Division.

1980 - First half goals from Willie Pettigrew and Eamonn Bannon (pen) were enough to give United a 2-0 win over Greenock Morton at Tannadice.

1994 - In the Scottish Cup Semi-Final replay at Hampden, the midweek tie with Aberdeen looked like it was heading for extra-time when Jim McInally pounced to send the United support wild and put United through to the Club's seventh Scottish Cup Final, this time against Rangers.

2005 - Just days after defeating Hibs at Hampden to reach the Scottish Cup Final, relegation threatened United faced high flying Rangers at Ibrox in the SPL. Stuart Duff gave United an unexpected lead after just eight minutes, and an inspired performance from goalkeeper Tony Bullock and the United defence helped the team to hold on for a memorable 1-0 victory.

13th April

1936 - United recorded their biggest ever League win with a 12-1 demolition of East Stirling at Tannadice, which resulted in the club scoring an incredible 42 goals in the final 6 games of the season. Duncan Hutchison and Arthur Milne both scored hat-tricks, George Ross and Jacky Kay grabbed two each, with Bobby Gardiner and Doug Anderson also scoring.

1940 - After victories over Partick Thistle, Third Lanark and Kilmarnock, United were drawn against Airdrieonians in the Semi Finals of the Scottish Emergency War Cup - which had replaced the suspended Scottish Cup due to World War II. The match at Easter Road ended in a 0-0 draw, and a replay was required.

1963 - In Dundee United's first ever appearance in the Semi Finals of the Scottish Cup, the Terrors faced Rangers at Hampden Park. The match burst into life in the 25th minute, when future United striker Jimmy Millar scored twice in the space of a minute, but then United fought back to level the score with goals from Dennis Gillespie and Ian Mitchell with just 35 minutes played. Rangers scored again two minutes later, and Millar completed his hat-trick before half-time. United couldn't get back into the game in the seond half, and the Glasgow side scored again with 5 minutes to go to finish the tie. United went out 5-2 to Rangers, but there was pride in reaching their first National Semi Final.

1977 - Aberdeen scored within five minutes at Tannadice, but Paul Sturrock equalised a minute later before Andy Rolland gave United the lead five minutes before the break. However, two goals from Aberdeen in the second half gave the Pittodrie side the points in a 3-2 defeat for United.

1985 - United and Aberdeen battled it out for a place in the Scottish Cup Final in the Semi-Final tie at Tynecastle, but a 0-0 draw took the tie to a replay.

1988 - The Scottish Cup Semi-Final replay against Aberdeen at Dens Park exploded into life near the end of the first half when Paul Hegarty was sent off for a challenge on Charlie Nicholas. Nicholas later put Aberdeen in front, but 10 men United fought back with Mixu Paatelainen grabbing the equaliser and a 2nd replay was required.

1991 - Ray McKinnon and Freddy Van der Hoorn scored in a 2-1 win over Celtic at Tannadice.

14th April

1971 - A Doug Smith penalty was the only goal of the game at Tannadice where United defeated Clyde 1-0.

1979 - Davie Dodds scored twice in the opening eleven minutes against Hearts at Tynecastle, and Billy Kirkwood added a third just after an hour to give United a 3-0 win.

1982 - Davie Dodds scored a hat-trick against Partick Thistle in a midweek Premier Division match at Firhill as United won 3-2.

1984 -Paul Sturrock scored in the first half against St Johnstone at Tannadice, and substitute John Reilly added a second with 10 minutes to go. Four minutes from time, Tommy Coyne scored with an overhead kick to finish the game as United won 3-0.

1990 - After getting past Dundee, Queen of the South and Hibs in the previous rounds, United faced Aberdeen at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup semi-finals, but two own goals from Freddy Van der Hoorn and Mixu Paatelainen added to the 4-0 defeat as Aberdeen eased into the Final.

1997 - Tommy McLean's high flying United team took on Kilmarnock at Easter Road in the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup, but a nervy 0-0 draw meant the teams needed to do it all over again in a replay.

15th April

1981 - After the original game ended in a 0-0 draw at Hampden in the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup, Celtic took a 3rd minute lead from the penalty spot, but Paul Hegarty and Eamonn Bannon put United 2-1 up after just 10 minutes. Celtic equalised just before half-time, but Paul Hegarty scored again for the winner with 15 minutes remaining to take the club through to only their 2nd ever Scottish Cup Final.

1986 - Jim McLean's right hand man Walter Smith left Tannadice to become assistant manager to Graeme Souness at Rangers after a 20 year connection with United as player and coach.

2001 - After their Quarter Final win over Rangers, Alex Smith's United side faced Celtic at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Semi-Finals. Celtic took a first half lead, but United start the second half well, and were unlucky not to find an equaliser before Celtic scored a second from the penalty spot with 10 minutes to go. Future United manager Jackie McNamara added a third a minute later before Derek Lilley scored a consolation goal for United to make it 3-1.

16th April

1932 - United played their last game in the top Division for 28 years when they lost 5-0 to Hamilton, and the club were relegated to Division Two. It was hardly unjustified, with United conceding 34 goals in the last 8 games of the League campaign.

1955 - Archie Aikman, Willie Dunlop and James Murphy all scored for a third game in a row, with Aikman grabbing a hat-trick in the 6-1 win over Arbroath at Tannadice. Tom McGairy also scored, as he finished the season as United's top scorer with 11 goals.

1960 - United's promotion hopes took a blow at Palmerston Park, as they conceded a late equaliser to Queen of the South after leading 4-3 with minutes to go in the third last game of the season. United's goalscorers were Tommy Campbell, Jim Irvine (2) and Dennis Gillespie.

1966 - Billy Hainey gave United a 1-0 lead at half-time against Aberdeen at Tannadice, and goals from Finn Dossing and Ian Mitchell gave the Terrors a convincing 3-0 win over their East Coast rivals.

1994 - Just four days after beating Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup Semi-Finals, United hammered Hibs 3-0 at Tannadice with goals from Billy McKinlay, Craig Brewster and Gordan Petric - the Serbian's first goal in Tangerine.

2005 - After victories over Hibs at Hampden and Rangers at Ibrox, a good week got even better when Grant Brebner scored with an incredible late, late winner against Hearts at Tannadice with a fantastic shot from outside the box. Barry Robson had earlier put United in front with future United striker Lee Miller equalising for Hearts in the first half.

17th April

1963 - Neil Mochan and Ian Mitchell scored to give United the points as they beat Dundee 2-1 at Dens Park in the second Dundee derby of the season.

1965 - Ian Mitchell scored the only goal of the game as United beat Rangers 1-0 at Ibrox.

1976 - The new striking partnership of Paul Hegarty and Tom McAdam both scored in a 2-0 win over Hearts at Tannadice.

1985 - The Scottish Cup Semi-Final replay against Aberdeen at Tynecastle saw Paul Sturrock open the scoring for United after just 5 minutes. Aberdeen's Neale Cooper was sent off 10 minutes into the second half and Stuart Beedie's rocket into the top corner put United two up an hour into the game. Four minutes later Davie Dodds was sent off, and Aberdeen pulled one back with five minutes to go, but United held out to win 2-1 and went through to face Celtic in the 100th Scottish Cup Final.

1999 - Billy Dodds scored against his former club after half an hour to give United the lead at Pittodrie, and within 10 minutes of the second half the match against Aberdeen was all but over. Another ex-Don, Joe Miller, put United two up in 53 minutes, and a minute later Kjell Olofsson made it 3-0. Dodds scored his second and United's fourth in the 56th minute before Aberdeen were reduced to 10 men when Pepper was sent off with 20 minutes to go, and the Terror's saw out the game comfortably for a 4-0 win.

18th April

1925 - A 2-2 draw with Broxburn at Tannadice clinched the Division Two title, and United were promoted to Division One as champions, winning their first ever major honour. Bobby Bauld and William Mackie scored United's goals in the second last game of the season.

1953 - A fantastic match at Tannadice saw Peter McKay score 4 times to give United a 5-4 win over Kilmarnock in the final game of the season, where Frank Quinn also scored as United finished 8th in the Scottish B Division.

1970 - Ian Mitchell scored a hat-trick against Raith Rovers at Tannadice, with Jim Henry also scoring in the 4-2 win over the Kirkcaldy side.

1992 - Maurice Malpas scored in the first half against Hearts at Tannadice, but the game wasn't over until the final minute when Duncan Ferguson scored to give United a 2-0 win.

19th April

1930 - A 1-1 draw with Hibs at Tannadice saw United relegated back down to Division Two, just a year after being promoted as champions. Andy Haddow and Johnny Hart scored for United.

1975 - Paul Sturrock scored the only goal of the game against Morton at Tannadice as United won 1-0 in the second last game of the season. The win comfirmed United's place in the UEFA Cup for the following season, the first time United had qualified for the tournament since it had been rebranded from the Fairs Cup.

1980 - Two late goals from Willie Pettigrew and Eamonn Bannon gave United a vital 2-0 victory over Hibs at Easter Road and kept the team in the hunt for a third successive European qualification.

2000 - Maurice Malpas beat Dave Narey's club record of 612 League matches when United faced Motherwell at Fir Park. After losing a goal in the first half, Alex Mathie equalised for United just after the restart, and late goals from David Hannah and Jason De Vos gave United a 3-1 victory, and put an end to a four game losing streak.

20th April

1966 - Jimmy Briggs and Dennis Gillespie (2) got the goals in a high-scoring 3-3 draw with Hibs at Easter Road.

1983 - In a vital game for United's championship chances, Paul Hegarty opened the scoring at Parkhead before Celtic equalised with a penalty. Eamonn Bannon put United in front again, but Richard Gough was then sent off and Tommy Burns made in 2-2. Ralph Milne scored the decisive goal with just 6 minutes left as United won 3-2 and pulled within a point of Celtic at the top of the table.

1988 - In the Scottish Cup Semi-Finals, United's tie with Aberdeen went to a 2nd replay at Dens Park after a 0-0 draw and a 1-1 draw. This time the match was decided by an Iain Ferguson header as United went through to meet Celtic in the Final - the Club's third Scottish Cup Final in four seasons.

1993 - In the final Dundee derby of the season, Paddy Connolly put United ahead after just 8 minutes at Dens Park, and Christian Dailly made it 2-0 before Dundee striker Billy Dodds was sent off just before half-time. Gary Bollan made it 3-0 in the 63rd minute, and Dailly grabbed his second and United's fourth in a comfortable 4-0 win.

1994 - Billy McKinlay scored his 2nd goal in three games for Scotland, this time a cracker from about 20 yards as the national side defeated Austria 2-1 in a friendly match in Vienna. John McGinlay also scored.

2002 - An own goal from Dundee defender Lee Wilkie was enough to win the fourth Dundee derby of the season as United won 1-0 at Dens Park, as the clubs unbeaten run after the league split continued.

2008 - Noel Hunt scored his 18th goal of the season, this time from the penalty spot, for the equaliser as United drew 1-1 with Hibs at Tannadice in the first match after the split, as both clubs chased Motherwell for the third spot in the SPL.

21st April

1917 - United beat the Royal Garrison Artillery 4-1 in a friendly match at Tannadice at the end of the war-time Eastern League season.

1956 - Johnny Coyle scored 4 times in one match for the third time in his United career as United beat Berwick Rangers 8-1 at Tannadice in the second last game of the season. Jimmy Reid, Sandy Stephen, Maurice Milne and Dave Sturrock also scored as United went on to finish 13th in the Division Two table. United scored their 2000th League goal in this match.

1962 - Goalkeeper Sandy Davie made his debut as United lost 4-2 to Partick Thistle at Firhill, with Walter Carlyle and Dennis Gillespie scoring United's goals.

1972 - After 10 seasons at the club, making 243 appearances, goalkeeper Don MacKay was given a free transfer and finished his playing career with Southend United. Mackay went into coaching in England and Denmark, before becoming Dundee manager in 1980. He would later have a relatively successful managerial career in England, with Coventry City, Blackburn Rovers and Fulham.

1973 - George Fleming opened the scoring for United against Kilamrnock at Tannadice, but the Rugby Park side equalised before half-time. Walter Smith scored 10 minutes into the second half for what proved to be the the winner in a 2-1 victory.

1979 - United's Championship hopes took a massive blow as Rangers won 2-1 at Tannadice, with Ray Stewart scoring for United from the penalty spot. With just three games to play, United still sat at the top of the Premier Division - but both Rangers and Celtic had several games in hand after a harsh winter had caused several postponements.

22nd April

1944 - In a war-time friendly match, United beat a Norwegian Forces XI 6-0 at Tannadice.

1967 - Orjan Persson and Jackie Graham scored in a 2-2 draw with Partick Thistle at Tannadice, where Ian Scott and Jim Cameron made their United debuts and Lennart Wing made his final appearance for the club before returning home to Sweden.

1972 - Mid-table United beat Aberdeen 2-0 at Tannadice with two first half goals from Ian Mitchell and Doug Smith (pen), effectively ending Aberdeen's title hopes.

1981 - Celtic clinched the Premier Division title with a 3-2 win at Tannadice, with Willie Pettigrew and Paul Sturrock scoring for United.

1987 - United made history by becoming the first ever Scottish club to reach the Final of the UEFA Cup with a 2-0 win over Borussia Moenchengladbach in Germany. After the 1st leg at Tannadice ended 0-0, Iain Ferguson broke the deadlock just before half-time with a diving header and Ian Redford rounded the keeper in the dying minutes for a memorable night in the Club's history.

1997 - After drawing 0-0 at Easter Road in the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup, Tommy McLean's United took on Kilmarnock again seven days later in the replay, but this time Kilmarnock won 1-0 with a goal from future United striker Jim McIntyre.

2000 - After going eleven games without a League win from December to April, United followed their midweek victory over Motherwell with a 2-1 win over Hearts, with Alex Mathie's double at Tynecastle giving United a 2-1.

23rd April

1910 - After already recording five wins out of six matches in the Carrie Cup Tournament, Dundee Hibernian went top of the group when they defeated Forfar Athletic 1-0 at Tannadice, putting the Club well on course for their first ever piece of silverware in their first year of existence.

1927 - After going on a 13 match run without a win, United put together back to back victories over Hearts and Partick Thistle, with goals from Bobby Bauld and Willie Welsh at Tannadice giving the already relegated team a 2-1 victory over the Firhill club.

1960 - In United's push for promotion, a visit to Brockville saw United losing 1-0 to Falkirk with just five minutes to go. But a Jimmy Briggs penalty gave United an equaliser and Jim Irvine grabbed a late winner in a vital 2-1 victory. This win took United to just one point behind leaders St Johnstone with one match to go, but the Perth side would win their midweek game in hand to win the Division title. This meant United would go into the final match needing a victory to guarantee promotion to Division One.

1983 - A stunning frist half display from United at Tannadice saw Derek Stark open the scoring against Kilmarnock after 13 minutes, and John Holt made it 2-0 eight minutes later. Stark added his 2nd after half an hours play, and Paul Sturrock made it 4-0 just before half-time. There were no more goals in the second half, but this win put United top of the Premier Division with Aberdeen beating Celtic 1-0 with only three games remaining.

1988 - Just three days after beating Aberdeen at Dens Park to reach the Final of the Scottish Cup, goals from Jim McInally and Iain Ferguson put United 2-0 up against relegated Dunfermline at Tannadice, but Dunfermline fought back in the second half to earn a 2-2 draw.

2011 - Scott Severin and David Goodwillie gave United a 2-0 half-time lead over Kilmarnock at Tannadice, and Goodwillie and Craig Conway added further goals just after the break. Kilmarnock pulled back two goals before the end of the match as United ran out 4-2 winners, as the team attempted to close the gap on third placed Hearts.

24th April

1957 - Johnny Coyle grabbed his 38th goal of the season, but United went down 2-1 to Stirling Albion at Annfield.

1965 - United beat Motherwell 3-1 at Tannadice with goals from Dennis Gillespie, Orjan Persson and Ian Mitchell in the final League game of the season as United finished in 9th place in Division One.

1982 -Eamonn Bannon scored from the penalty spot, his 21st goal of the season, to give United a point in a 1-1 draw with Rangers at Ibrox Stadium.

2004 - Billy Dodds opened the scoring against Rangers at Tannadice, but Rangers fought back to lead 3-1 with 2 goals from ex-United striker Steven Thompson. However, Jason Scotland came off the bench to score twice in the last 10 minutes in a classic 3-3 draw.

25th April

1910 - In the club's inaugural season, a match between Dundee Hibs and Dundee Wanderers was brought to a premature end due to bad light.

1931 - United clinched promotion back to Division One, this time as runners-up to Third Lanark, after a 2-1 win over Dunfermline at Tannadice, with goals from Denis McCallum and Andy Haddow.

1956 - Johnny Coyle scored his 44th goal of the season in a 1-1 draw with Dumbarton at Tannadice, which gave him the record of scoring the most League goals in one season for a United player. This result meant that United had gone the entire League campaign without losing a game at Tannadice.

1979 - Davie Dodds and Billy Kirkwood scored in the first half against Hearts at Tannadice, but a Gibson penalty with five minutes to go wasn't enough for the Edinburgh club, and United won 2-1.

1984 - 90 minutes away from a European Cup Final, United travelled to Italy to take on AS Roma in the Semi-Final 2nd leg. But the unthinkable happened as United lost 3-0 in the overly hostile Olympic Stadium to lose the tie 3-2 on aggregate and Roma go through to play Liverpool in the Final.

2001 - United midfielder Charlie Miller made his International debut as he appeared for Scotland in Poland. Ex-United men John O'Neil and Andy McLaren also won their first caps in the same friendly match at the Zawisza Stadium, where Scott Booth scored from the penalty spot in a 1-1 draw.

26th April

1958 - Wilson Humphries scored his 27th goal of the season as he grabbed his second hat-trick of the season in a 4-1 win over Stranraer at Stair Park, with Jimmy King also netting.

1975 - Andy Gray, Paul Sturrock (2) and Iain McDonald scored in a 4-2 win over Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

1978 - John Holt scored in the 2nd minute of the Premier Division match against Ayr United at Tannadice, and George Fleming added a second just five minutes later. Gordon Wallace made it 3-0 ten minutes before half time, before Ayr United pulled one back three minutes into the second half. That was the end of the goals and United won 3-1 .

27th April

1929 - Goals from James Cameron (2) and Geordie Henderson gave United a 3-1 win over East Stirlingshire at Tannadice in the final League game of the season. The victory meant that United had won the Division Two title for the second time, beating Morton to the top spot by one point, and were promoted back to Division One just two seasons after being relegated.

1968 - United found themselves 2-0 down to Stirling Ablion after an hours play at Annfield in the final game of the season, but two late goals from Dennis Gillespie and Andy Rolland gave United a 2-2 draw and an 11th place finish in Division One.

1977 - Dave Narey made history when he became the first Dundee United player to earn a full Scotland International cap when he played in a 3-1 win over Sweden at Hampden. Asa Hartford, Kenny Dalglish and Joe Craig scored in this friendly match.

1996 - Billed as the First Division title decider, Dunfermline came to Tannadice in the penultimate match of the season. With United sitting top before the match, all the team needed was a victory to clinch the championship and promotion back to the Premier Division. However, Dunfermline took an early lead and United could not find a way back into the match, and the Pars took over at the top of the table after a 1-0 win and United's chances of automatic promotion are taken out of their own hands with only one game left to play.

28th April

1930 - In their second Cup Final in two days, United won the Penman Cup by beating Montrose 2-1 at Dens Park.

1951 - Peter McKay scored his 38th goal of the season as United drew 2-2 with Ayr United at Somerset Park, with Frank Quinn scoring United's second. United finished 4th in the Scottish B Division, just 9 points away from promotion.

1976 - Goalkeeper Hamish McAlpine scored from the penalty spot at Easter Road and Henry Hall tied up the points for a 2-0 win over Hibs. With just one game left, United now needed to leave Ibrox with at least a point to stay in the Premier Division.

1979 - In the second last game of the season, and still in with a shout for the Premier Division title, things looked good when Davie Dodds gave United the lead over Celtic at Parkhead just before the break, but Celtic scored twice in the second half to win 2-1, a result that more or less ended United's Championship hopes.

2001 - A Jamie Buchan strike from outside the box gave United a 1-0 win over Motherwell at Tannadice and kept United above St Mirren in the relegation dogfight with just 3 games left to play.

29th April

1922 - A 4-1 win over Armadale at Tannadice was not enough to save the club, and Dundee Hibs were relegated from the Scottish League after finishing in 19th place. They would play the next season in the Scottish Alliance League.

1961 - United secured 9th place in the First Division with an emphatic 5-0 win over Dunfermline at Tannadice in the final match of the season. Dennis Gillespie scored a hat-trick and Neil Mochan scored twice.

1978 - Goals from Gordon Wallace, Derek Addison (2), Ray Stewart and Billy Kirkwood saw United beat Partick Thistle 5-2 at Tannadice.

1989 - Alan Irvine and Mixu Paatelainen scored in a 2-1 win over Hibs at Easter Road.

30th April

1927 - After two seasons in Division One, United were relegated back down to Division Two after a 4-3 defeat to St Mirren in Paisley.

1960 - With St Johnstone having won the Division Two title during the week, the 2nd promotion place was still up for grabs in the final league game of the season. With United sitting 2nd on goal difference above Hamilton and a point above Queen of the South, a win against Berwick Rangers would guarantee the club promotion. Tommy Campbell scored in the 8th minute and United held out for a 1-0 victory and sparked jubilant scenes at Tannadice as United reached the top flight for the first time in 28 years.

1983 - With United sitting top of the league, and only 4 points separating the top three teams, a huge United support travelled through to Cappielow to see United beat Greenock Morton 4-0 with goals from Dave Narey, Ralph Milne and Davie Dodds (2). Hamish McAlpine had to go off injured and Paul Hegarty took his place in goal.

1988 - Mixu Paatelainen scored four times as United beat Morton 4-0 at Cappielow, where Alex Cleland made his first team debut.

2005 - In the first game after the split, United faced Dundee at Dens Park in the midst of a relegation battle between the two clubs, as well as Dunfermline and Livingston. Mark Wilson gave United the lead in the 2nd half, but Dundee soon equalised from the penalty spot. Jim McIntyre popped up yet again with a late winner to end Dundee's unbeaten run of 9 games without defeat against United, and put the Terrors in the driving seat for the last 4 games of the season. This would be the last competitive derby for seven years.

See the "By Month" pull down menu at the top of the page to select another month.....
On This Day - Created and Compiled by Bryan Orr, assisted by Chris Bennison & Steven Thomson
Arab Archive
The Glenrothes Arabs - Website Created by Bryan Orr © Copyright 2011.