The Glenrothes Arabs


1st May

1920 - Dundee Hibernian had beaten Dundee in the Forfarshire Cup Final the previous week, but the Dens Park club claimed that Hibs had fielded an ineligible player and the tie was ordered to be replayed. However, Hibs won the replay 1-0 at Dens Park with a Gibson goal to win their third Forfarshire Cup.

1965 - After being brought back the previous season, the 1965 Summer Cup kicked off with United beating Dundee 4-1 win in a Group stage match at Dens Park, with Finn Dossing (2), Ian Mitchell and Lewis Thom getting the goals in front of a crowd of 11,745.

1982 -Eamonn Bannon (pen) and Davie Dodds both grabbed their 22nd goals of the season in a 2-2 draw with St Mirren at Love Street.

1993 - Paddy Connolly took his season's goal tally to 19 with a brace against Partick Thistle at Tannadice, and Michael O'Neill also scored in the 3-1 win.

2010 - Champions elect Rangers beat 3rd placed United 2-1. Boyd and Novo did the damage in the first half, Damian Casalinuovo managed to pull one back 10 minutes from time for a frantic finish but to no avail. Ryan Dow made his first team debut from the bench.

2nd May

1942 - Former Liverpool striker Bob Glassey and Newcastle United winger Laurie Nevins, both based locally during the WWII, scored at Tannadice to give United a 2-1 lead over Rangers in the 1st Leg of the Wartime North Eastern League Cup 1st Round tie.

1981 - Davie Dodds scored twice as United beat Partick Thistle 3-2 at Tannadice in the last league game of the season, where Eamonn Bannon scored United's first. United finished 5th in the League and looked forward to the Scottish Cup Final against Rangers.

1984 - Paul Sturrock opened the scoring at Ibrox in front of a crowd of just 5,000, but Rangers went 2-1 up before Davie Dodds equalised with 4 minutes to go for 2-2.

1987 - After a long hard season where the side reached both the Scottish Cup and UEFA Cup Finals, most of the first team players were rested, and a mostly unrecognisable United team defeated Hibs 2-1 at Tannadice with goals from Kevin Gallacher and Ian Redford (pen).

1998 - With championship chasing Rangers left to play in the final League game of the season, United faced being caught by bottom club Hibernian. The club's faced off at Easter Road in the 2nd last match, where future United player Grant Brebner gave Hibs a first half lead. However, two second half goals from Kjell Olofsson gave United a 2-1 win and Hibs were officially relegated to the First Division.

2009 - United beat 9 men Hibs with a first half goal from Warren Feeney and a last minute winner from substitute David Goodwillie for 3 vital points, a top 6 place and hysterical celebrations from the travelling Arabs.

3rd May

1958 - Goals from Willie McDonald, J Keddie (2), A Ross, Dave Sturrock (2) and Stuart Fraser gave United a fantastic 7-0 victory over Berwick Rangers at Tannadice on the last day of the campaign as United finished 9th in the Division Two table. Goalkeeper Bill Lucas played his 44th game of the season, playing in all of United's competitive games.

1967 - United completed a fantastic double over soon to be European champions Celtic, by being the only Scottish club to beat them in domestic competition during the season. United repeated their win over the Glasgow club at Tannadice earlier in the season with a 3-2 win at Parkhead, with goals from Billy Hainey, Jackie Graham and Dennis Gillespie. This was Orjan Persson's last game for United before his transfer to Rangers.

1986 - Having blown their title challenge in the previous two weeks, United finished the season with a victory over Hibs at Easter Road, with an own goal and a Stuart Beedie finish to give them a 2-1 win. Within weeks Beedie would join Hibs after playing 64 games and scoring 9 goals during his two year spell at Tannadice.

1997 - Having confirmed their 3rd place finish in the Premier Division weeks before, United defeated their next nearest opponents at Tannadice, when Gary McSwegan scored with 20 minutes to go for a 1-0 victory over Hearts. United would finish the season 18 points above the team from Edinburgh

2003 - Two fantastic goals from Charlie Miller and Jim McIntyre put United 2-1 up against Motherwell in the battle at the bottom of the league at Fir Park, but Motherwell got a late equaliser for a 2-2 draw, and the relegation battle went on as the SPL Board considered First Division winners Falkirk's promotion chances.

4th May

1940 - United appeared in their first ever major national final in front of more than 75,000, narrowly losing out to Rangers 1-0 in the Emergency War Cup Final.

1969 - After the 1968/69 season had finished, United were again invited to the USA to represent the Dallas Tornado, this time in the NASL's International Cup. In their opening match at the Municipal Stadium, they lost 4-2 to Wolves, who had also returned to play as Kansas City Spurs as they had done two years earlier.

1974 - United made history as they appeared in their first ever Scottish Cup Final, where Jim McLean's United team faced Jock Stein's Celtic at Hampden Park. However the occasion was too much for United, and they conceded two goals in the first 20 minutes. Doug Houston and Andy Gray were unlucky with missed chances, and Celtic made it 3-0 in the final minute. A disappointing finale to a great Cup run, but it was a great experience for the youngsters in the United side like Andy Gray and Graeme Payne.

1976 - Needing at least a point to stay in the Premier Division, United took on treble winning Rangers at Ibrox Stadium in the final game of the season. Hamish McAlpine missed a penalty kick, but a 0-0 draw saw United survive relegation, with Dundee dropping down to the First Division on goal difference.

1985 - Goals from Paul Sturrock and John Clark gave United a 2-1 win over Rangers at Tannadice, as United finished above the Glasgow club in the League for the third season in a row.

1996 -In the final League fixtures of the season, United needed Airdrie to beat Dunfermline and them win their own match against Morton to win the First Division championship. With defeat meaning another season in the First Division, Brian Welsh and Robbie Winters scored in a 2-2 draw and United had to face a play-off with Partick Thistle for a place in the Premier Division.

5th May

1965 United followed up their 4-1 Summer Cup win over Dundee with an identical scoreline against St Johnstone at Tannadice, with Ian Mitchell (2), Finn Dossing and Frannie Munro (pen) giving United their second victory in the popular mid-sixties end of season competition.

1979 - With Celtic having won the Premier Division just the week before, 3rd placed United faced 4th placed Aberdeen in the final game of the season. Graeme Payne gave United a first half lead, before Drew Jarvie equalised for Aberdeen just before the hour mark. Ray Stewart scored his fourth goal of the season eight minutes later, but Aberdeen were awarded a penalty with seven minutes to go, which Gordon Strachan converted for a 2-2 draw.

1984 - Paul Sturrock put United 1-0 up against St Mirren at Tannadice, but two goals in two minutes from Frank McDowell and Drew Jarvie gave St Mirren the lead, before Dave Narey equalised for United just two minutes later, all just before half-time. The match ended at 2-2, and United would now have to beat Premier Division leaders Aberdeen in the midweek match at Tannadice to have any chance of catching the Dons.

1990 - In the last game of the season, United drew 0-0 with St Mirren at Love Street to win the point they needed to finish fourth in the Premier Division, and gave themselves a chance of qualifying for Europe for the 15th consecutive season. Although they now had to rely on Aberdeen beating Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final.

6th May

1964 - Jim Irvine gave United a 1-0 win over St Johnstone at Muirton Park in the newly revived Summer Cup competition.

1968 - Manager Jerry Kerr signed ex-Dundee centre forward Kenny Cameron from Kilmarnock for 10,000. Cameron would go on to finish as Scotland's top scorer with 36 goals in his first season, and went of to score 83 goals in 170 matches during his six seasons as a player at Tannadice. When his playing career came to an end, he went spent a further 15 years at United as a coach and a scout.

1987 - After famous victories over Barcelona and Borussia Moenchengladbach, Scottish Football history was made as United became the first ever Scottish club to compete in the UEFA Cup Final. The first leg at the Ullevi Stadium in Sweden saw goalkeeper Billy Thomson pick up a nasty ear injury after a first half collision, but he played on after receiving stitches. A Pettersson header gave Gothenburg the lead seven minutes before half time, and a tired United side struggled to get back into the match. The game ended 1-0, but United were confident they could turn the tie around in the second leg at Tannadice.

1995 - After picking up just 4 points in their previous 9 matches, United were now in serious danger of dropping out of the Premier Division for the first time in 35 years. A relegation battle with bottom club Aberdeen at Pittodrie saw future United striker Billy Dodds score for Aberdeen in the first half, and he set up Duncan Shearer to make it 2-0 midway through the second half. A desperate United side pulled one back through youngster Robbie Winters with 5 minutes to go, but it wasn't enough and United replaced Aberdeen at the bottom of the League, and would have to beat Celtic at Tannadice in the final game of the season to have any hope of staying up.

2012 - After losing heavily to Rangers in midweek, United beat champions elect Celtic for the first time in eleven attempts when they won 1-0 at Tannadice, with a first half Scott Robertson header. Comically, it took the away fans a few moments to realise that their team had conceded, preoccupied as they were with their Poznan inspired 'huddle'.

7th May

1963 - Dennis Gillespie scored his 16th goal of the season against Aberdeen at Pittodrie, where United won 2-1 thanks to a Smith own goal. The result took United well clear of Dunfermline and Dundee and guaranteed at least a 7th place finish in Division One.

1973 - A United Select side took on a Dundee Select team at Tannadice in Dennis Gillespie's testimonial match, with Bruce and Britton scoring for United in a 2-1 win. Gillespie had spent 13 years at Tannadice, becoming a vital player in United's rise from a run of the mill Division Two side to team competing with the top sides in European football, making 455 appearances, and scored 115 goals.

1983 - United remained top of the Premier Division with just one game left to play as Eamonn Bannon and Davie Dodds both scored twice in a 4-0 win over Motherwell at Tannadice. The result meant that United would be crowned League Champions if they could win their final League game of the season against Dundee at Dens Park the following week.

1997 - After already securing third spot and a place in the following seasons UEFA Cup, United lost 1-0 to Rangers at Tannadice, where an early Brian Laudrup header was enough for Rangers to clinch their ninth Premier Division title in a row.

2011 - A hat-trick from Jon Daly ensured United finished at least fourth in the SPL as they eased to a 4-0 victory over Motherwell. Keith Watson also got on the score sheet with 3 minutes to go.

8th May

1965 - United picked up their third win in three games during the group stages of the Summer Cup, with a 2-1 win over Aberdeen at Pittodrie, with goals from Lewis Thom and Mogens Berg.

1974 - Three days after appearing in their first ever Scottish Cup Final, United still had League fixtures to complete after several postponements, and they faced Hibs at Tannadice. Andy Gray scored for United, but high flying Hibernian clinched 2nd place in Division One with a 4-1 win.

1982 - In the second last game of the Premier Division campaign, Paul Hegarty, Ralph Milne and Paul Sturrock scored in a 3-0 win over table topping Celtic at Tannadice, as United secured a fourth spot finish and qualifed for European football for the sixth season in a row. The result gave title chasing Aberdeen hope, meaning that if they could win their game in hand, they would still have a slim chance of sneaking the Championship on the final day if results went their way.

2004 - A fantastic Mark Wilson goal was enough to give United a 1-0 win over Motherwell at Fir Park as the side continued their excellent finish to the season and moved up to 5th place in the league.

9th May

1942 - After beating Rangers 2-1 in the 1st Leg, United managed a draw at Ibrox Park where Robert Rooney and Laurie Nevins scored to take United through to the Final of the Wartime North Eastern League Cup where they would play Aberdeen.

1964 - Two goals from Dennis Gillespie and one each from Tommey Neilson and Jimmy Briggs gave United a 4-1 win over Aberdeen at Tannadice in the group stages of the Summer Cup.

1969 - In their second match in the National American Soccer League's International Cup, representing Dallas Tornado, United drew 2-2 with Aston Villa 2-2 draw in Atlanta, where Villa were representing the Atlanta Chiefs.

1981 - Victories over Brechin City, Partick Thistle, Motherwell and a Semi Final replay win against Celtic at Hampden, saw United play in the Club's second ever Scottish Cup Final, where they returned to the National Stadium to face Rangers. A stuffy match was heading for extra-time at 0-0 when Rangers midfielder Bobby Russell fell in the box in the last seconds of the game, and Rangers were awarded a penalty. Ex-Dundee and future United star Ian Redford took the kick, only to see United keeper Hamish McAlpine block with his left foot with the last kick of the 90 minutes. The match went to extra-time, but the score finished 0-0 and the Final would be decided by a replay, the last Scottish Cup Final to be decided this way.

1998 - After beating Hibs to survive a relegation scare just the week before, United faced title chasing Rangers at Tannadice in the final League game of the season. Lars Zetterlund scored in a 2-1 defeat as Albertz was sent off for Rangers, but with Celtic winning their last game to win the Championship, Rangers' stranglehold on the Premier League title slipped as they failed in their bid for 10 titles in a row.

10th May

1969 - After drawing with Aston Villa the day before, United lost 2-0 to the English Club at the Cobb Stadium in Dallas during the NASL's International Cup competition, where United were playing as Dallas Tornado, and Villa as the Atlanta Chiefs.

1974 - Midfielder Duncan McLeod scored a hat-trick as United beat Greenock Morton 4-2 at Tannadice, and a youthful Dave Narey scored his first ever goal for the Club, as United finished 8th in Division One and started preparations for their first ever Scottish Cup Final.

2003 - After Jim McIntyre had given United a second minute lead at the Almondvale Stadium, Livingston equalised with 12 minutes to go. However, a last minute Charlie Miller goal gave United a much needed 2-1 win and guaranteed United's survival in the Premier League with one match to go. The SPL had yet to decide if Falkirk would be allowed to be promoted as Motherwell finished bottom of the SPL.

2008 - A controversial afternoon at Ibrox Stadium saw Rangers lead 2-0 at half-time whilst they chased the SPL title in the second last game of the League campaign. United, themselves looking to grab a European qualification place in the League, fought back valiantly in the second half, but found themselves up against some baffling decisions from referee Mike McCurry. With a stonewall penalty shout turned down, a deflected Danny Swanson goal ruled out for offside, and several Rangers players escaping yellow and red cards, Mark de Vries eventually gave United the goal they deserved with 10 minutes to go, only to then be booked for his celebration. Rangers made the points safe in the last minute for a 3-1 win, and more or less ended United's chances for a place in Europe.

11th May

1962 - After losing goalkeepers Alex Brown and Ronaldo Ugolini at the end of the season, Jerry Kerr signed Don Mackay from Forfar Athletic to compete with Sandy Davie for the No.1 jersey. Mackay would go on to make 243 appearances during his 10 years with United.

1963 - Dennis Gillespie gave United a first half lead over Celtic at Tannadice, and second half goals from Eric Brodie and Walter Carlyle gave United an astounding 3-0 win. This result put United just two points behind 4th placed Celtic in the Division One table with one match still to play. United would at least finish 7th, guaranteeing the Club it's highest ever League position in Scottish Football at that point.

1985 - With United having already won 3rd place in the Premier Division, the team went down 1-0 to Dundee at Dens Park in the final match of the League campaign, with Bobby Connor scoring after half an hour. United now had the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic to look forward to.

1987 - With most of the first team being rested with the Scottish Cup Final and the 2nd leg of the UEFA Cup final ahead, a makeshift United team gained a point at Tynecastle in the final League match as Billy Kirkwood scored a penalty to equalise John Robertson's third minute penalty, in a 1-1 draw with Hearts that gave United a 3rd place finish in the Premier Division.

1991 - United needed a point at East End Park in the final Premier Division game of the season to guarantee a 16th consecutive year of European football. But as the match entered the 90th minute, Dunfermline centre half David Moyes rose to head the ball home and United lost 1-0. They now needed to win the up coming Scottish Cup Final against Motherwell for any chance of European football for another year.

2004 - Goals from Charlie Miller, Chris Innes and Jason Scotland had United 3-0 up after half an hour against Dunfermline at Tannadice, but the away side quickly pulled one back four minutes later and future United player Stevie Crawford scored another for the Pars just after half time. United held out for a 3-2 win to cement their 5th place finish in the Scottish Premier League with one more game to play at Parkhead.

12th May

1927 - After just two seasons in the United first team, making 48 appearances, 18 year old wing half Jimmy Simpson was sold to Rangers for a reported figure of between 1,000 to 2500, following United's relegation to Division Two. Simpson would go on to become a legendary player for Rangers dring the 1930's, winning several trophies and 14 International appearances for Scotland.

1981 - After Hamish McAlpine's dramatic last minute penalty save in the first match at Hampden, United had to return to the National Stadium for the midweek replay of the Scottish Cup Final against Rangers. Rangers winger Davie Cooper scored the first and then up Bobby Russell to make it 2-0 to the Glasgow side after 20 minutes, before Davie Dodds pulled one back two minutes later for United. Cooper then set up John McDonald to restore Rangers' two goal advantage before half time, and McDonald scored again with 13 minutes left to play as Rangers won the trophy with a 4-1 win.

1996 - United had finished in second place in the First Division, and had qualified for the Play-Off where they met Partick Thistle who had finished second bottom in the Premier Division. In a tense first leg at Firhill on a Sunday afternoon, Thistle had gone ahead through a Lyons goal after 20 minutes, but Christian Dailly scored the equaliser for United with just 4 minutes remaining to tie the match at 1-1 going into the second leg at Tannadice.

2001 - Going in to the second last game of the season, United faced St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park knowing they only needed to match St Mirren's result against Aberdeen to be safe from relegation. However things looked grim at half time when United found themselves 2-0 down, having missed a first half penalty, and St Mirren were winning at Love Street. A remarkable second half comeback began when St Johnstone's Paul Hartley was sent off just after half time, and Charlie Miller pulled one back after 5 minutes. Craig Easton levelled the scores with 9 minutes to go, and with just two minutes left, Derek Lilley fired the ball home to send the United fans crazy with relief as United won 3-2 and survived a very real possibility of being relegated for the second time in 6 years.

13th May

1964 - Benny Rooney, Stewart Fraser and Jimmy Briggs (pen) scored in a remarkable 3-3 draw with Dundee in front of 15, 341 at Dens Park in a Summer Cup group stage match.

1989 - If United defeated Hamilton in the final League game of the season, and Celtic lost to St Mirren, the Terrors would leapfrog the Glasgow side into third place in the Premier Division. However, United lost to the Accies for the first time since 1959, with a 1-0 defeat at Tannadice. After an injury plagued couple of seasons, this was Paul Sturrock's last match as a player, as he retired to take up a coaching role under Jim McLean.

1995 - Sitting bottom of the Premier Division as they entered their final match of the season, United had to beat Celtic at Tannadice and hope that Aberdeen would lose to Falkirk for there to be any chance of escaping automatic relegation to the First Division. But with Celtic's Phil O'Donnell scoring the only goal of the game in a 1-0 defeat, and Christian Dalliy recieving a red card in the final minute, scores elsewhere no longer mattered and United were out of Scotland's top Division for the first time in 35 years.

2012 - United rounded off another tremendous season with three points to secure 4th place in an entertaining match full of chances against 3rd placed Motherwell at Fir Park. Johnny Russell scored on 8 minutes and John Daly got his 19th league goal of the season in the closing minutes as United won 2-0. Ryan Gauld made his first team debut, with Scottish Cup winners Danny Swanson, Scott Robertson, Dusan Pernis and Paul Dixon appearing for United for the last time, and Motherwell centre half Stephen Craigan played his last match in front of a healthy crowd thanks to the 5 entry fee.

14th May

1983 - Since being beaten by Celtic at Parkhead at the start of April, United had went on a five match winning run that had taken them to the top of the Premier Division with one match left to play. With both Celtic and Aberdeen sitting just one point behind, United had to win their final match to become Champions, and so the most important match in the Club's history kicked off in front of 29,106 fans at Dens Park where Dundee were desperate to spoil United's party. United couldn't have started better, with a glorious Ralph Milne chip from nearly 35 yards dropping into the net after just four minutes, and five minutes later Dave Narey was fouled in the box and United were awarded a penalty. Eamonn Bannon took the kick only to see Dundee keeper Colin Kelly block his shot, but he followed up for the rebound to put United 2-0 up. However, future United striker Iain Ferguson then pulled one back for Dundee after 28 minutes and although Celtic were losing 2-0 at Ibrox, Aberdeen were winning comfortably against Hibs at Pittodrie, so there was no room for error. A nervy second half saw Celtic come back to lead Rangers, but United held out and Dens Park erupted in a sea of tangerine at the final whistle as United became Champions of Scotland.

1984 - A Robert Prytz penalty just before half time gave Rangers the lead at Tannadice, and Ally McCoist made it 2-0 with eight minutes to go. Davie Dodds pulled one back form United in the last minute, but Rangers won the final League match of the season 2-1. United finished in 3rd place, five points clear of Rangers in 4th, to qualify for Europe for an eighth season in a row.

1988 - Memorable wins over Dundee and Aberdeen in the previous rounds saw United compete in the Scottish Cup Final where they faced Premier Division Champions Celtic at Hampden Park. Just after half time, Kevin Gallacher sprinted clear of Roy Aitken to fire United ahead with a great finish. After missing a couple of great chances, United were pulled back when Frank McAvennie found the equaliser with 15 minutes left, and the Scotland striker popped up again in the final moments to score the winner for Celtic in a 2-1 victory, winning the League and Cup double for the Glasgow Club in their centenary year.

1994 - Having made themselves safe from relegation a few weeks before, United faced relegated Raith Rovers in the final League game of the season. Unbelievably, United found themselves 3-0 down before David Hannah and Craig Brewster pulled United back to 3-2, but the final whistle blew before United could find an equaliser. United finished in 6th place, their worst position in 18 years, only two points above St Johsntone who ended up going down due to League reconstruction. Not the ideal build up for a Scottish Cup Final against Rangers a week later.

15th May

1965 - In the Summer Cup group stages match, Danish International winger Mogens Berg scored a hat-trick against St Johnstone at Muirton Park, with Finn Dossing also scoring twice in the 5-1 win. This was United's fifth straight win in the competition.

1969 - United faced Kilmarnock at the Cobb Stadium in Dallas, USA, where both Club's had been invited to play as Dallas Tornado and the St Louis Stars respectively in the NASL's International Cup. The match finished in a 3-3 draw.

1982 - Paul Sturrock and John Reilly scored in a 2-1 win over Partick Thistle at Firhill in the last game of the season as United finished fourth in the Premier Division.

1993 - After announcing his retirement from management back in March, Jim McLean lead United for the last time as they played Aberdeen at Tannadice in the final game of the season. Christian Dailly scored but United lost 4-1 as McLean stepped down to concentrate on his role of Chairman of the club after 22 years as manager, leading the Club to two League Cups, a Premier Division title, a European Semi Final and a UEFA Cup Final.

2010 - On a beautiful Saturday afternoon at Hampden Park, United appeared in their ninth Scottish Cup Final where they faced First Division challengers Ross County on the last day of the Club's Centenary season. After a nervy first half, 28,000 Arabs went wild when a spectacular thirty yard volley from David Goodwillie sailed into the back of the net on the hour mark, and two superb Craig Conway goals followed as the United faithful went into dreamland. Andy Webster and Lee Wilkie lifted the Cup together in a moment that will live on as one of the greatest and most emotional days in our club's history.

2011 - United continued their good recent home form to end another fine season in 4th place with an impressive victory over Hearts at Tannadice. Jon Daly's second half strike secured a 2-1 win for Peter Houston's side, after David Goodwillie's first-half opener was cancelled out by Gary Glen.

16th May 1942 - United faced Aberdeen at Tannadice in the 1st Leg of the Wartime North Eastern League Cup Final, where David Low, Bobby Gardiner and Bob Glassey (2) gave United a 4-3 lead going into the 2nd Leg at Pittodrie.

1981 - Paul Sturrock made his International debut when he came on as a late substitute for Leeds United's Arthur Graham as Scotland faced Wales in a British International Championship match in Swansea. Ex United full back Ray Stewart also made his first appearance for Scotland, and Dave Narey won his ninth cap for the National side. Scotland lost 2-0 and Manchester United striker Joe Jordan was sent off.

1987 - After a memorable Semi Final victory over Dundee, United took on St Mirren in the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden Park. United were hot favourites, but after a long hard campaign that saw them reach the UEFA Cup Final, the team looked tired and the 90 minutes ended goalless. In the latter stages of extra-time, United looked to have taken the lead when Iain Ferguson scored, but the goal was contentiously chalked off for offside and St Mirren's own Ian Ferguson then scored at the other end to win the Cup for the Paisley side.

1996 - A jam-packed Tannadice was the venue for the second leg of the Premier Division Play-Off, where the score was still tied after the first leg in Glasgow. With 20 minutes to go, Thistle were awarded a penalty, and Ian Cameron slotted past Ally Maxwell to make the score 2-1 to Partick. With seconds left, and the Club facing a second season in the First Division, Brian Welsh popped up to header home an Andy McLaren cross to send the United fans wild with relief. The tie went to extra-time, where Owen Coyle scored the winner, again set up by McLaren, and United replaced Partick Thistle in the Premier Division on a highly emotional evening at Tannadice.

2003 - United Manager Ian McCall signed winger Barry Robson from Inverness Caledonian Thistle for an undisclosed fee. Robson would go on to be a regular over the next four seasons, becoming Club captain, scoring 37 goals in 166 appearances.

2009 - With Aberdeen losing to Rangers earlier that Saturday, just a point was needed to secure a Europa place and 3 points would lift them to 3rd in the SPL. But a large travelling Arab support would leave disappointed as a resolute Hearts beat United 3-0.

17th May

1969 - In their fifth match of the invitational International Cup in the USA, United - playing as Dallas Tornado - were beaten by the Baltimore Bays 6-1 at the Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, where West Ham United were representing the Bays and Alan Gordon scored the home teams goal.

1988 - After scoring for United in the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic, Kevin Gallacher made his International debut for Scotland in a 0-0 draw with Colombia in a Rous Cup match at Hampden Park. Ex-United defender Richard Gough made his 37th appearance for his country.

1992 - In a warm up match for the European Championship Finals in Sweden, Scotland travelled to Denver to play the USA. Duncan Ferguson made his debut for the national team, with Dave Bowman, Jim McInally and Maurice Malpas also appearing as Pat Nevin scored in a 1-0 win.

2003 - A Jim Paterson goal on the hour mark gave United a 1-0 victory at Firhill against Partick Thistle and kept United off bottom spot in the last game of the season after Ian McCall had taken over in January. John Lambie retired as Thistle manager and received a standing ovation from both sets of fans after a 19 year career in management.

18th May

1923 - After one just one season out of the Scottish League set up after losing their place in 1922, Dundee Hibernian were re-admitted at the League's AGM, beating East Stirlingshire by 6 votes. Five months later, the club would be playing under the new name of Dundee United.

1985 - United had beaten Hibs, Queen of the South, St Mirren and Aberdeen on the road to Hampden, where they faced Celtic in the 100th Scottish Cup Final. Stuart Beedie gave United the lead after 54 minutes with a great finish from an Eamonn Bannon pass, but just as the club looked to have won the trophy for the first time in their history, a Davie Provan free-kick pulled Celtic level with fifteen minutes to go, and a Frank McGarvey header five minutes from the end won the Cup for Celtic.

1991 - The McLean brothers met each other in one of the most entertaining Scottish Cup Finals of all time, where Jim's United faced Tommy's Motherwell. United had a goal chalked off and a shot come back off both posts whilst Ex-United striker Iain Ferguson headed Motherwell into a 1-0 lead in the first half. A Dave Bowman shot low into the bottom corner pulled United level in the 55th minute, but goals from Phil O'Donnell and Ian Angus gave Motherwell a 3-1 lead. John O'Neil pulled a goal back for United with a header virtually straight away, but United then found it hard to get past Motherell keeper Ally Maxwell until, with just seconds remaining, Darren Jackson found the equaliser with a header from an Alan Main long ball. Four minutes into extra-time, Steve Kirk scored the winner with a header at the back post, and United couldn't find a way back in to the game, losing out in a Scottish Cup Final for a sixth time.

1992 - United travelled to Vancouver, Canada for a close season tournament, the Guinness Challenge Cup, where they went down 3-0 to Chelsea in the second match.

19th May

1945 - Dick Scott scored twice at Tannadice, with Bill Shaw scoring the other in a 3-2 win over Falkrik at Tannadice in the War time Mitchell Trophy 1st Round tie, with the second leg to be played the following week.

1965 - Finn Dossing (2) and Mogens Berg scored as United beat Aberdeen 3-0 at Tannadice in the final Section match of the Summer Cup, and went through to the Semi Finals having won all six of their sectional matches. They would face Partick Thistle in the two legged Semi Final.

2007 - United finished the season with a 0-0 draw with Motherwell at Tannadice, ending the season in 9th place in the SPL having failed to win any of the five matches after the split. New manager Craig Levein had come in back in November and now had a major rebuilding task to undertake.

20th May

1970 - After a close season tour of Mexico where the Club had been invited to assist the hosts with their preparations for the upcoming World Cup with a number of friendly matches, United stopped off in Greece on the way home to play Greek Champions Panathinaikos, where Davie Wilson scored in a 3-1 defeat at the Leoforos Stadium.

1975 - Having previously signed as an S-Form from Dundee Sporting Club, 16 year old Davie Dodds signed as a full-time player at Tannadice. Dodds would go on to be a major player for United during the early 80's, scoring 150 goals in 369 appearances. He scored in the 1980 League Cup Final as United won the trophy for the second consecutive year, and was also the Club's leading scorer with 28 goals during the 1982/83 season when United became Premier Division Champions.

1987 - Tannadice was jam packed with a crowd of 20,911 for the 2nd Leg of the 1986/87 UEFA Cup Final. Losing 1-0 after the 1st leg in United lost in Gothenburg, United were desperate to draw level, but a Lennart Neilson goal from a break away on 22 minutes gave the Terrors a mountain to climb. John Clark pulled United level on the night with a fantastic goal from the edge of the box on the hour mark, but it wasn't enough and Gothenburg won 2-1 on aggregate. Jim McLean and the United players received a standing ovation for their efforts, and Gothenburg were applauded during their lap of honour on an emotional and memorable night in Dundee.. Arabs were later recognised for their sporting behaviour and good will with the first ever UEFA Fair Play Award.

2001 - After the nail-biting win at McDiarmid Park that saved United from relegation the week before, United travelled up to Pittodrie for the final game of the season, where Tasos Venetis and Derek Lilley gave United a 2-0 lead after only 15 minutes. Aberdeen pulled one back in the second half, but United finished with a 2-1 victory, their fourth consecutive win, to finish 5 points above relegated St Mirren.

2003 - United Manager Ian McCall tied up the signature of Partick Thistle defender Alan Archibald. The defender never missed a competitive match for United over the next two seasons, playing in a total of 144 matches, and scoring 7 goals during his four seasons at Tannadice.

21st May

1994 - After victories over Arbroath, Motherwell, Airdrie and Aberdeen, United faced back-to-back treble hunting Rangers at Hampden in the club's seventh Scottish Cup Final. Just after half-time, with the score still at 0-0, Christian Dailly charged down a kick from Rangers keeper Ally Maxwell, and collecting the loose ball, he sent a low shot goal wards from a tight angle. His shot rebounded of the far post, but Craig Brewster was first to react to tap the ball home from a yard out to make it 1-0 to United. After previous Cup Final reversals, the next 43 minutes were some of the most nerve racking moments that the United support had went through, but a solid United defence held out for a shock victory and Maurice Malpas became the first United captain to lift the Scottish Cup and brought the Cup back to Tannadice for the first time ever.

2000 - United suffered their fifth defeat in a row as they lost 2-0 at Celtic Park in the final game of the season, as Paul Sturrock's last full season as manager came to a close. This was the last match for United captain Maurice Malpas as he announced his retirement as a player to concentrate on his coaching role at the club.

2005 - With only one week to go until the Scottish Cup final with Celtic at Hampden, United still couldn't relax as the relegation battle with Livingston and Dundee went to the wire. Much of the tense afternoon at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium was spent with one ear to the radio listening to the Livingston versus Dundee game until Barry Robson scored from the penalty spot late in the game to make United safe, and Dundee were officially relegated.

22nd May

1965 - In the 1st Leg of the Semi Final of the Summer Cup, United drew 0-0 with Partick Thistle, with the 2nd Leg to be played at Tannadice four days later.

1969 - United, playing as Dallas Tornado, lost 3-1 to West Ham, who were representing Baltimore Bays, during their close season playing in the North American Soccer League, with Davie Wilson getting United's goal at the Cobb Stadium in Dallas.

2008 - Going into the final SPL game of the season, United needed a win to secure 4th spot and a place in Europe. However, they faced Championship seeking Celtic, who needed a win to clinch the title, on a thursday night at Tannadice. With United's nearest rivals Aberdeen beating Rangers at Pittodrie, Celtic scored with 15 minutes to go with a Jan Venegoor of Hesselink header to win the match 1-0, a result that won the SPL title for Celtic, and knocked United down to 5th.

23rd May

1942 - United travelled to Pittodrie for the 2nd Leg of the Wartime North Eastern League Cup Final, with a narrow 4-3 lead. At full time, Aberdeen lead 2-1, taking the game into extra-time, where they scored again to take the trophy for the second time.

1981 - Dave Narey and Paul Sturrock both came off the bench as Scotland beat England 1-0 at Wembley Stadium in a British International Championship match. John Robertson scored from the penalty spot for a memorable win.

1999 - With Rangers already having won the SPL title at Parkhead, and Dunfermline already relegated, second bottom United faced second top Celtic in the final game of the first ever SPL season. Mark Burchill scored twice for Celtic in the first half, but Billy Dodds pulled United back into the game with a penalty after an hours play. The Glasgow club held out for a 2-1 win at Tannadice, where Sieb Dykstra, Kjel Olofsson, Erik Pedersen and Larz Zetterlund said their goodbyes before moving on after three seasons with United.

2002 - United goalkeeper Paul Gallacher won his first full International cap for Scotland in a friendly game against the Hong Kong League in Hong Kong, where Steven Thompson also played and scored his first International goal in a 4-0 victory. Kevin Kyle, Scott Gemill and ex-United man Christian Dailly also scored.

24th May

1909 - In a general meeting at the Crown Hotel, Shore Terrace, Dundee, Dundee Hibernian Football Club were officially formed. Little did that founding committee know that their Club would go on to win every major honour in Scottish Football and challenge some of the best and biggest clubs in Europe.

1969 - United's close season playing as Dallas Tornado in the United States continued with a 1-0 victory over Kilmarnock, who were representing St Louis Stars, with Davie Wilson scoring the winner at Francis Field in St Louis.

1983 - A week after winning the Premier Division championship, four Dundee United players started for Scotland in their British International Championship match against Northern Ireland at Hampden. Both Eamonn Bannon and Richard Gough won their second caps for the National side, while Paul Hegarty made his 8th and Dave Narey made his 20th appearance for the Scots. Ex-United striker Andy Gray also played, as did future United goalkeeper Billy Thomson, in a match that ended in a 0-0 draw.

2003 - After confirming their SPL status the week before at Firhill, United lost 2-0 to Aberdeen in the final game of the season at Tannadice.

2009 - United celebrated their 100th birthday, but the jovial mood would be short lived, at least for the home fans, as Rangers cruised to the SPL title with a 3-0 victory on the final day of the season. An Aberdeen win that day meant United unfortunately lost out on fourth place and a Europa slot for the second year in a row. It was the final game as a United player for Celtic-bound Lukasz Zaluska and Danny Grainger would soon head along the A90 to St Johnstone.

25th May

1969 - A break from their roles as Dallas Tornado and Baltimore Bays in the North American Soccer League, United lost 8-2 to West Ham during an exhibition match in Portland. Alan Gordon scored both United's goals as they faced a West Ham side that included England's World Cup winning players Bobby Moore, Goeff Hurst and Martin Peters as well as a young Trevor Brooking.

1985 - United defender Richard Gough scored the only goal of the game as Scotland beat England 1-0 at Hampden to win the Rous Cup. Maurice Malpas also won his 2nd international cap.

26th May

1965 - United reached the Final of the Summer Cup after beating Partick Thistle 3-0 at Tannadice in the 2nd Leg of the Semi Final, with Ian Mitchell (2) and Finn Dossing scoring the goals.

27th May

1972 - The club started a close season tour of Nigeria with a 2-2 draw against Stationery Stores. Kenny Cameron and Tommy Traynor scored for United.

1979 - At the end of the 1978/79 season, United were invited to take part in the International Kirin Cup in Japan. In the team's opening match in Kyoto, Graeme Payne and Ray Stewart gave United a 2-2 draw with Argentinian side San Lorenzo.

28th May

1967 - United travelled to the USA to represent Dallas Tornado in the newly formed United Soccer Association. Their six week spell in America kicked off at Comiskey Park in Chicago, where Finn Dossing scored the winner in a 1-0 victory over Serie A side Cagliari, who were appearing as The Chicago Mustangs.

1983 - In a British International Championship match at Ninian Park, Dave Narey made his 21st appearance for Scotland, with Eamonn Bannon and Richard Gough both picking up their 3rd Caps for the National side. Ex-United striker Andy Gray gave Scotland a 1-0 lead after smashing home an Alex McLeish header. and Tottenham Hotspurs' Alan Brazil made it 2-0 in the second half.

1994 - After a week of celebrations after their Scottish Cup success, United travelled to Jerren Nixon's Trinidad for a close season tour. The first match saw United draw 1-1 with the Trinidad and Tobago international team.

2005 - With the tense end to the season now over with United surviving relegation and Dundee instead going down, United fans travelled to Hampden in a party mood as United faced Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final. After losing an early goal, Gordon Chisholm's men did well, but failed to find an equaliser, with Alan Archiblad crashing a late drive off the cross bar after Celtic had missed a second half penalty as the Glasgow side lifted the Cup in Martin O'Neill's final game in charge at Parkhead.

29th May

1946 - Full back Doug Berrie signed for United from local juniors side Stobswell. He went on to make 185 appearances during his seven seasons at Tannadice, where he was a regular in the side, playing in both full back positions.

1965 - In the final of the Summer Cup, United went down 3-1 to Motherwell at Fir Park in the 1st Leg with Finn Dossing getting United's goal.

1979 - During their end of season participation in the Kirin Cup in Japan, United beat Burma in Hiroshima. Not usually known for getting in on the goals, Ray Stewart added to his goal in the opening game with a hat-trick, two from the penalty spot, and Davie Dodds scored the other in a 4-0 win.

30th May

1994 - United continued their close season matches with the Trinidad & Tobago International team with another 1-1 draw, Roy McBain scored for United.

31st May

1969 - In United's last match of their month long stay in America representing Dallas Tornado in the NASL, goals from Ian Scott and Ian Mitchell (2) gave the side a 3-2 win over Wolves, who were playing as Kansas City Spurs, at the Cobb Stadium in Dallas.

1972 - The close season tour of Nigeria continued as a rare Doug Smith goal gave United a 1-0 victory over Shooting Stars.

1979 - In their third match of the International Kirin Cup in Japan at the end of the 1978/79 season, United beat a Japan 'B' team 2-0 with goals from Walter Smith and Derek Addison in Hiroshima. United won their Group B section, and went through to play Italian side Fiorentina in the Semi-Final.

See the "By Month" pull down menu at the top of the page to select another month.....
On This Day - Created and Compiled by Bryan Orr, assisted by Chris Bennison & Steven Thomson
Arab Archive
The Glenrothes Arabs - Website Created by Bryan Orr © Copyright 2011.